World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: National Consultant (HSS/Early Recovery Project)
Ref Id: 1803810
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contractual Arrangement: Individual service contractor
Contract duration: 6 Months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Purpose of the Position
- The overall objective of the assignment is to strengthen the institutional capacity in selected NE States to deliver the essential package of health services sustainably to vulnerable populations ensuring equitable access and quality of health services in a most affordable manner.
Description of Duties
Under the overall guidance of the Health Systems Adviser and in collaboration with the HSS focal Point for North East and the Incident Manager, the Health Systems Early Recovery Officer will provide technical support and facilitate policy dialogue, working with the national authorities and other relevant stakeholders to perform the following specific tasks:
- Provide technical assistance to the DPRS SMOH and relevant stakeholders to strengthen their capacity on health sector coordination and operational planning
- Support, coordination and policy dialogue within the health sector for development and implementation of the humanitarian/development nexus and health systems recovery
- Support for the implementation of the national essential package of health services
- Support the implementation of Infection Prevention and Control practices including capacity building in selected health facilities
- Support Human Resources for health management through the establishment of Health Workforce registry in selected states
- Support the implementation of Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response system to improve the timeliness and completeness of reporting and use
- Effective and timely delivery of WHO Country Office Key Performance Indictors (KPIs) including ePMDS, travel request, travel claims and activity reports.
- University degree in Medicine, Public Health or related fields from a recognized university – Essential
- Advanced University Degree or Post Graduate degree in public health, Health Systems Management or related field – Desirable
- 5 years experience working in the health sector in a government or non-governmental international organization – Essential
- Prior humanitarian and health systems working experience at field level with WHO, other UN agencies, health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organizations is an added advantage – Essential
- Previous experience in WHO, UN or other international organizations -Desirable
Use of language skills:
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Hausa language – Essential
Specific skills required:
- A proven record of health systems strengthening work in humanitarian situations; an understanding of Nigeria’s Health System is an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to provide sound methodological and technical advice and guidance to multiple stakeholders and partners
- Demonstrated ability to analyze political context and interact and negotiate effectively with multiple interests at the political level
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with the National Counterparts-State Ministry of Health including Department of Planning Research and Statistics
- Demonstrated ability to innovate, integrate, synergize and communicate complex ideas in English, verbally and in writing
- Ability to monitor and communicate progress in terms of process and results
- Knowledge of the health system situation and stakeholders in Nigeria
- IT proficiency
- Understanding of Hausa language is an additional advantage.
Application Closing Date
28th August, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should click here to apply