The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) represented by the ECOWAS Commission within the framework of the execution of its 2018 budget intends to apply a portion of the budgeted funds to strengthen the Multilateral Surveillance Directorate by the engagement of a Public Account Specialist in charge of the Harmonization, Adoption and Implementation of Public Accounting Framework.
Applications are invited for:
Job Title: Consultant – Environmental and Social Impact Studies for the Construction of the New ECOWAS Headquarters
- The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) represented by the FCOWAS Commission intends to recruit a consulting firm to carry out Environmental and Social Impact Studies for the construction of the new ultramodern Headquarters for the ECOWAS Commission in Abuja, Nigeria.
- The main objective of this study is to conduct environmental and social impact assessments for the construction of the new ECOWAS Headquarters.
Duties and responsibilities of the Consultant firm
- Establish baseline information on both natural and built environment including the socio-economic activities within and without the site relative to the project.
- Identify, evaluate and possibly quantify the direct and indirect positive and negative aspects of the construction project on the biophysical, human and socio-economic environment according to the different phases (preparatory, construction and operation).
- Propose, where necessary, technically viable and economically feasible mitigation measures to avoid, mitigate or compensate for the negative impacts of the project, and measures to enhance positive impacts.
- Prepare a monitoring and management plan indicating indicators to be monitored, expected results and activities to be carried out and propose a logical framework matrix.
- Provide all the necessary documentation, draft requests for permits and assist in the processing of the EIA permit from the Abuja Federal Capital Authority
The overall duration of the assignment is three (3) Months
The ECOWAS Commission now invites eligible Consultants (firm) to indicate their interests in providing these services. Interested, eligible and qualified consulting firms must provide full information on their qualifications and experience, demonstrating that they are qualified and experienced in providing similar services. The criteria for shortlisting are as follows:
- General experience in carrying out studies and supervision of building projects (office, residential accommodation, commercial areas and complexes, industrial zones, etc.) over the past ten (10) years;
- Specific experience in environmental impact studies for structures such as office buildings and complex commercial buildings and facilities over the past ten (10) years;
- Specific experience in conducting environmental/social impact studies and processing relevant certificates for buildings of similar nature over the past ten (10) years
- Experience in supervising World Bank or African Development Bank funded Building construction project in sub Saharan Africa;
- Logistic resources and equipment;
- IT resources (specialized equipment and list of software)
- Ability to report in both English and French languages;
Availability of key staff with the following Qualifications:
- The individual shall be a holder of a Master’s degree in Environmental Science or Environmental Engineering
- She shall O5SCS5 a minimum of 10 years of experience in the area of environmental impact studies on infrastructure projects
- She must have been involved in an Environmental impact assessment of at least 2 similar building projects in the past 5 years
- Must have carried our at least one similar project in Sub-saharan Africa
- The individual shall be a holder of a Master’s degree in Social Science, Economics, Psychology or any humanities but has a Bachelor’s degree in Social Science
- S-he shall possess a minimum of 5 years of experience in the area of Socioeconomic impact studies on infrastructure projects
- She must have been involved in an Socio-economic impact assessment of at least I similar building projects in the past 5 years
- Must have carried out at least one similar project in Sub-Saharan Africa
NB: In addressing the above listed criteria, consulting firms must provide tangible evidence and detailed references for all claims made in terms of experience and capabilities, similar assignments, etc. Each reference provided should be summarized on a project sheet, and will be considered and accepted only if the candidate attaches supporting documents indicating the contact information of the contracting authorities so as to facilitate verification of the information provided, covering attestation(s) of good performance of each contract presented as issued by the Client.
Interested Consulting firms may apply as a consortium or partnership to ensure and/or boost their consolidated capacities to execute the assignment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified Consultants should send their “Expressions of Interest” which must be delivered in sealed envelopes (1 Original and 3 copies) clearly marked “Recruitment of a Consultant Firm to Carry out Environmental and Social Impact Studies for the Construction of the New Headquarters” – Do not open except in the presence of the Evaluation Committee” to the address below:
Director of General Administration,
1st Floor of the ECOWAS Commission Headquarters,
Plot 101, Yakubu Gowon Crescent,
Abuja – Nigeria.
- The eligibility criteria, the preparation of shortlist, and the selection procedure shall comply with the ECOWAS Rules and Procedures for the Use of Consultants” (ECOWAS Procurement Code), available on its website: http://www.ecowas.int The selection procedure will be selection of Consultant (firm) based on the Consultant’s Qualification and the selected Consultant firm will be invited to produce Technical and Financial Proposals which will serve as the basis for negotiation for the conclusion of the Contract Agreement. Please note that the firms that are part of an international network are to submit only one expression of interest as a network. Please note that the selected consultant firm will be expected to submit all required reports in English and French.
- The attention of interested Consulting firms is particularly drawn to Article 118 of the ECOWAS Revised Procurement Code (“Infringements by Candidates, Bidders and Awardees”), providing information on corrupt or fraudulent practices in competing for or executing a contract. In addition, please refer to the following specific information on conflict of interest related to this assignment as per “Article 1119 of the ECOWAS Revised Procurement Code.
- Interested consulting firms can obtain further information at the e-mail addresses mentioned below, during office hours: Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm (GMT+1): The Procurement Division, Directorate of General Administration, ECOWAS Commission, Plot 101, Yakubu Gowon Crescent, Asokoro District, P. M. B. 401 Abuja, Nigeria or by Email to the following addresses: email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com@ecowas.int
- Electronic submissions are not accepted and will not be evaluated
- This request for EoI can also be viewed on the following website: http://www.ecowas.int/doing-business-in-ecowas/ecowas-procurement