Action Against Hunger | ACF-International works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Institutional Capacity Building Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full Time Programmes – FSL Entry Level
Starting Date: April 2019
Direct Line Manager: Institutional Capacity Building Officer
The RESILAC project, “Lake Chad Inclusive Economic and Social Recovery”, has been developed by Action Against Hunger (project lead), in consortium with CARE and Groupe URD.
The RESILAC project aims to provide a response combining emergency, rehabilitation and recovery in the Lake Chad region (bordering with Cameroon, Niger, Nigeria and Chad) – an area affected by an economic and social crisis, recurring climate shocks and a regional security crisis. The project has received support from the French Development Agency and the European Union (via the EU Emergency Trust Fund for Africa).
The project organogram in Nigeria is made of: 1 National Project Coordinator, 4 Sector Managers, 1 MEAL Manager, several officer and assistant positions.
The Institutional Capacity Building Assistant will play a key role in supporting the Institutional Capacity Building officer in implementing activities including capacity assessments, identification of major gaps in capacity and systems within key institutions to be filled through appropriate training and systems strengthening activities. He/she shall be engaging with key relevant government and civil society stakeholders to follow up on activities and action plans. This position is based in Maiduguri/Jere LGA, Borno State. He/she will report to the Institutional Capacity Building officer based in Monguno.
Tasks & Responsibilities
Objective 1 – Support the implementation of Pillar 3 activities in project locations:
- Community sensitization on the program objectives and methods to stimulate & eventually promote the understanding and participation of the target population. Community sensitization starts at village- and Community-leader levels and eventually extends to the entire population.
- Assist the Institutional Capacity Building Sector manager in organising and implementing activities taking place in Maiduguri and Jere LGA related to trainings, hands on support and follow ups.
- Directly implement activities in line with work plans and quality standards agreed with Institutional Capacity Building Sector manager.
- Follow-up issues related to institutional actions and propose appropriate solutions.
- Support in the preparation of activity plans, procurement plans and budgets for all activities.
- Seek and provide feedback from beneficiaries and other relevant stakeholders on the quality of activities;
Objective 2 – Network and coordinate with the relevant stakeholders:
- Establish good relationship and network with community leaders and other actors in the working area.
- Establish a good understanding of the program within the Community
- Establish linkes and meetings with the Community leaders and different group existing in the working area.
- Maintain good relation and communication with all field staff.
- Maintained good relation with technical agencies and professional training institutions involved in the activities.
Objective 3 – Community Sensitization and Mapping:
- Actively sensitize the population on RESILAC key messages
- Maintain community and beneficiaries engagement with the program, communicating any issue to the Institutional Capacity Building Sector manager
- Responsible in implementing community mobilization strategy in field.
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and responsible for reporting and communication of progress and achievement of the specific assigned task
- Work effectively as a member of the Food, Security and Livelihood (FSL) Resilac Program team to ensure optimization of resources cross the team as well as delivering consistency and effectiveness of practice
- Other relevant duties and project work as directed by the Youth Employment Officer
- Maintenance of high technical standards
- Conduct all duties in a professional manner following Action Against Hunger Nigeria mission staff regulations, mandate and charter.
Internal & External Relationship
- Institutional Capacity Building Officer: Direct line management & reporting, coaching.
- Has thick dotted line connection with Knowledge mapping and communication officer
- Other Program Officers and assistants: exchange of information, coordination, support and collaboration.
- Base logistics, Administration, Finance : exchange of information, reporting, collaboration, coordination.
- Local community, beneficiaries, Local government: information sharing and active communication as per Institutional Capacity Building Officer’s dispositions.
- Complete activity reports, market surveillance and site rep contributions;
- Contribute to the development of donor reports and other program specific reports;
- Internal and external evaluation report;
- Learning documents and case studies;
- Adhoc reports (assessment reports, baseline, newsletter).
- Diploma in relevant field
- Minimum of 1 year working experience in humanitarian context.
- Ability and willingness to frequently travel to villages and stay at the field.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions.
- Proficiency with local languages (Hausa, Kanuri, Fulani) is an added advantage.
- Resident of community area of work, networks within the community preferably
- Previous NGO experience in a similar setting.
- Experience and commitment to involving communities and local actors.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should click here to apply