Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Assistant
Location: Fune, LGA, Yobe state
Starting date: March 2019
Direct Line Manager: Nutrition officer
Tasks & Responsibilities
Objective 1 – Undertake nutrition interventions at the local level:
- Facilitate community mobilization, meetings and training during community led Nutrition activities;
- Work closely with community structures to follow up on implementation of Infant Young Child Feeding (IYCF) activities with the support from the CMAM Nutrition Officer
- Support in the implementation of capacity building training for the target HW at the Facility.
- Directly implement in the field the activities defined in the program in close collaboration with the CMAM Nutrition Officer.
- Support the implementation of detailed work plan for Nutrition team at Fune LGA Yobe state of state in Nigeria, activities in collaboration with Nutrition Officer, which will include delivery and follow-up of training.
Objective 2 – Collect information and data on nutrition at LGA level through screenings, surveys, and assessments:
- Collect information to ensure that the CMAM data of the nutritional activities in the area of HF intervention;
- Collect the required information in the field to support an understanding of the evolution of the context;
- Support the M&E team in data collection for screening or other nutrition related assessments;
- Support the preparation of documentation required for the implementation of field activities
Objective 3 – Mobilization and awareness raising about the organization, program objectives and activities to local authorities and the population, and act as a link between the Organization and the beneficiaries (at LGA level):
- Contribute to the development of project community mobilization strategies;
- Implement sensitization activities for targeted communities about CMAM/IYCF with support from Health Extension workers, Community Volunteers, traditional leaders and other key stakeholders in feasible livelihood restoration activities at LGA level;
- Coordinate all activities very closely and in collaboration with UNICEF, Ministry of Health and other key stakeholders;
- Facilitate good working relationship between government extension workers and target beneficiaries.
Objective 4 – Represent AAH externally in relevant local and state level forums and technical working groups:
- Key activities and responsibilities to achieve this objective:
- Establish formal relationship with the partners as required
- Represent AAH externally in issues related to nutrition and health (consortia, alliances and clusters) at the local and state level.
- Assist in other tasks as determined by management.
Internal & External Relationship
- Nutrition Officer: Operational hierarchical relationship– exchange of information, reporting, collaboration, coordination
- Social protection assistant: Collaborate with team to ensure exchange of information, collaboration and coordination. In addition, oversee technical oversight, technical support, coaching
- LGA and non-governmental partners: Exchange of information, coordination, training, supervision, influence on choice of technical options;
- Representatives of Traditional leaders: Exchange of information;
- Representatives of donors: Exchange of information, technical discussions, project related exchanges.
- Professional, good organizational capacity, good human relationships, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and, culturally sensitive
- Diploma in Nutrition or a related field with at least 1 year relevant work experience
- Experience in the Nutrition and social approach – IYCF a plus
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Word)
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Fluency in Hausa, Kanuri and English
- Commitment to the mission, values and policy
- Previous experience with nutrition and health programming
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local economy
- Previous humanitarian programming experience
- This document is non-contractual and may be modified to reflect the changing needs of the service.