The Federal Ministry of Environment in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of:
Job Title: Project Manager
Duration: One-year renewable
- The Federal Ministry of Environment in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is embarking on a project to support the implementationof the NDC Sectoral Action Plan with a focus on the five priority sectors of Agriculture, Power/Energy, Transport, Oil & Gas and Industry.
- The UNOP HOC Support Programme will build on the challenges and various efforts by the Government of Nigeria in implementing the NDC through existing strategies and action plans. It will enhance the capacities of relevant institutions directly involved in the implementation of the Action Plan to mobilize finance, increase private sector participation and provide advisory services for mainstreaming gender responsive measures across all sectors in the implementation process.
- The candidates should be highly motivated, enthusiastic, and capable of working independently.
- He/she should have a strong scientific/technical and policy background on the UNFCCC, Paris Agreement, NDC regime and particularly in the priority sectors identified under the project.
- The ability to work with a wide variety of people from governments, agencies, non-governmental organizations, and research institutions is essential.
- A good understanding of the national institutional framework is highly desirable.
- He/she must be able to draft fluently in English.
- The Project Manager (PM) will be based in the Department of Climate Change (DCC) in Abuja.
- Manage and coordinate the day-to-day project activities including activities of the Project Management Unit (PMU) and project consultants
- Supervise and coordinate the production of project outputs with the Technical Working Groups (TWGs) and the Project Consultants
- Organize and facilitate the Project Steering committee (PSC) and TWG meetings and any other meetings with Government counterparts, donor agencies, private sector, NGOs and other stakeholders
- Ensure a close working relationship between UNDP, the DCC and other parties involved in project implementation.
- Foster and establish inks with related national and regional projects, and other international programmes;
- Ensure that the project is implemented with the full participation of relevant national and local institutions.
- Organize national workshops under the project, including agendas, resource persons and participants
- Ensure the publication and dissemination of the reports identified as project outputs.
- Prepare a detailed annual work plan for the project activities to be carried out, in close consultation with the UNDP, DCC, and the PSC
- Provision of all project monitoring and evaluation reporting, including progress reports, project accounts and budgets, Project Annual Work Plans (AWP), Terms of Reference (TORs), etc. as required by the PSC and DCC in accordance with UNDP guidelines.
- Prepare TORs and organize interviews for selection of candidates for consultants and subcontractors
- Ensure achievement of the overall objectives and specific outputs of the Project, by utilizing the project financial resources in an efficient, effective and transparent manner
- Keep regular monitoring of the progress of the project and take corrective actions to ensure that the project is achieving expected outputs within the given timeframe and budget
- Supervise project personnel in conducting administrative and logistical functions and ensure timely and effective implementation of project activities
- Ensure that the project complies with the policies of the United Nations, in terms of regulations, procedures, reporting requirements and ethical standards.
- Provide technical inputs in the deliverables of the project.
- Prepare quarterly, annual and terminal reports of the Project to the PSC
- Know the administrative procedures established by UNDP and ensure their proper implementation by both the DCC and other project partners receiving resources from the project.
- Ensure the correct use of the logos of UNDP, the Nigeria Ministry of Environment and other donors in accordance with the instructions contained in the project document.
- Be responsible for managing the finances of the project following the regulations of UNDP and approve the administrative and financial reports, external communications and monitor the travel authorization procedures, staffing, equipment purchases, goods and services of all partners and members participating in the project.
- Control costs, the budget balance and ensure compliance with the commitments made in the project budget.
- Assume overall responsibility for financial meetings, deliver the objectives set out in annual work plans, reporting on project funds and related record keeping.
- An advanced Science degree (MSc and above) in a subject related to Environmental Management
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in the field of climate changer
- Familiarity with the Paris Agreement and the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC)
- Demonstrated successful leadership in the design and execution of projects related to the field of climate change
- Good understanding of Nigeria’s environment and development issues as well as national obligations towards the UNFCCC.
- Familiarity with low carbon development issues.
- Substantial experience in the workings of the Nigerian Government and in interdepartmental procedures
- Strong knowledge of Nigerian Government policies and strategies
- Ability in negotiation and conflict resolution
- Demonstrated strong leadership and partnership
- Demonstrated ability to liaise and foster cooperation between agencies, including Government, private sector participants, NGOs and other stakeholders
- Good knowledge of ward processing and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken)
- Excellent communication (Written and Oral) Skills.
- Excellent inter-personal skills as well as working well within a team environment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications with a Cover Letter stating why they are the most suitable candidate for this position to: email@example.com
Note: Qualified women are highly encouraged to apply for this position. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.